title="Hinton Charterhouse Parish Council in Somerset"

NewsMon, 25th June 2018

News  »  Flooding Information

   Flooding Information    19 September, 2015



In case of imminent or current flooding of property.

  • If you feel a personal risk, or someone is in danger - call the Emergency Services on 999.
  • If a person’s home is flooding, they should call the Environment Agency’s Floodline on 0345 988 1188

For advice on how to prepare for flooding and what to do during a flood check the UKGov Prepare for the Flood webpages http://www.gov.uk/prepare-for-a-flood.

Highway Drainage and Flooding Issues.

- including blocked gulleys, pot-holes, and water ponding on highways, etc. Contact B&NES Council Connect service:

  • Telephone: 01225 394041
  • Online forms: www.bathnes.gov.uk/reportit
  • Email: councilconnect@bathnes.gov.uk
  • Twitter: @ccbathnes Text (SMS): 07797 806545

Burst Sewer or Water Mains.


  • Bristol Water (0800 801011) for mains water supply in B&NES (except for Bath area).
  • Wessex Water (0345 600 4600) for sewers anywhere in B&NES, and water mains supply in Bath area.

Private Drainage Matters

Contact the appropriate land owners. B&NES Drainage & Flooding team can advise on what constitutes a private drainage matter.

Bath & North East Somerset Council’s draft Local Flood Risk Management Strategy is now available for review at http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/your-council-and- democracy/consultations


Drainage & Flooding Team at B&NES

Flood Authority Manager: Jim Collings

jim_collings@bathnes.gov.uk 01225 39 4366

Drainage Engineer: Daniel Parr

daniel_parr@bathnes.gov.uk 01225 39 5902

Senior Technical Officer: Jim McEwen

jim_mcewen@bathnes.gov.uk 01225 39 4409

Local Flood Representative

Your local flood representative is Penny Williamson 01225 722252 / 07712 437478

Your Local Flood Representative is your local contact for non-emergencies and flooding which is not from a major river. Please get in touch with your Local Flood Representative if you become aware of any of the scenarios listed below. Your Flood Representative should then contact the B&NES Drainage & Flooding Team as required:

  • In non-emergency situations where external source flooding has led to internal property flooding. (For emergency situations, call the numbers at the top of this document)
  • Where there is a maintenance issue with a watercourse that may result in flooding of properties (e.g. overgrown vegetation impeding flows, or other restrictions or blockages such as fallen trees or rubbish that could result in property flooding).
  • Maintenance issues with watercourse structures that may result in flooding of properties (e.g. blocked culverts or trash screens).
  • Land drainage issues (e.g. where rainwater runoff from land may be flooding roads or property).
  • If you have any questions about works affecting watercourses (e.g. footbridges, outfalls, culverts or bank modifications). Note: Some works may require Land Drainage Consent from the Lead Local Flood Authority or Flood Defence Consent from the Environment Agency.
  • Issues such as these should be reported by the Local Flood Representative as and when they occur. The more information provided the better, with photos being particularly useful. The Drainage and Flooding team will then consider the issues and they may be discussed at an Operational Flood Working Group meeting or passed to the relevant Flood Risk Management Authority.
[+ go back...]